WHAT: Homecoming is a weeklong celebration of Washburn traditions for students, alumni, faculty, staff and the community. We look forward to a week full of fun events that showcase our Ichabod spirit.
SCHEDULE OF HOMECOMING EVENTS
Sunday, Oct. 7
Bods on the Avenue
- Washburn students are painting the town blue! The College Hill neighborhood is getting a Homecoming makeover as students paint business windows to celebrate Homecoming along Washburn Avenue.
Monday, Oct. 8
- 7 p.m. -- Memorial Union -- Washburn Rooms A & B
- Washburn students will dance the night away with friends and listen as we announce the 2018 Homecoming Top Bods candidates at the ball. The announcement will mark the start of voting for the candidates who will be named “Ichabods of Honor.” The Ichabods of Honor replace the traditional homecoming king and queen with a stronger emphasis on academics and community service. The Top Bods replace the traditional homecoming court.
Tuesday, Oct. 9
Ichabod Race Trivia Contest
- 6 p.m. -- Memorial Union -- Union Underground
- Students will test their trivia skills, Washburn knowledge and athleticism as they race to put together a puzzle! Teams will compete to earn and find puzzle pieces to put together the whole picture.
Wednesday, Oct. 10
Scorch on the Porch
- 11 a.m. -- Memorial Union
- Following the Homecoming theme, Bods on the Big Screen takes over the memorial Union. Students, faculty and staff can enjoy Homecoming-themed décor, meals, Ichabod Shop deals and other activities. A Harry Potter-themed meal will be available for $5.50 along with live entertainment.
Open Mic Night
- 7 p.m. -- Mabee Library
- Students show off their talents with performances including comedy, singing and poetry.
Thursday, Oct. 11
Yell Like Hell Pep Rally
- 7 p.m. -- Lee Arena
- Student teams perform dances, skits and more to showcase their Homecoming spirit in this annual tradition.
Friday, Oct. 12
- 11 a.m. -- Washburn A/B
- Student teams compete to create the best Homecoming-themed sculpture out of cans of food. After Homecoming, food donations will go toward the Can Emporia competition. Every year, Washburn and Emporia State compete to see which university can collect the most donations of non-perishable food. The food is then donated to the respective food banks in Topeka and Emporia.
- 4 p.m. – 8 p.m. -- Bradbury Thompson Alumni Center
- This event is free to attend and no registration is required. Enjoy an extended After Hours with live music! After Hours is a monthly casual social where alumni, friends, faculty and staff can enjoy appetizers, beer, wine and soft drinks. The Top Hat auction continues during After Hours, with proceeds going to the United Way.
- 6 p.m. -- Lee Arena
- The undefeated Ichabod volleyball team – currently ranked ninth in the nation -- will take on Missouri Western State University. Tickets are available at www.wusports.com/schedule.aspx?path=wvball
Nights at the WUvies and Pep Rally
- 6 p.m. -- Yager Stadium
- The evening starts with a pep rally in Yager Stadium to get students pumped up for Homecoming. Afterward, they can settle in for a movie on the big screen. Attendees can sit in the stands, on the track or on the field. No outside food/drink allowed in the stadium, and no lawn chairs are allowed on the field. Concessions will be available.
Saturday, Oct. 13 – Homecoming Day
Alumni Association Pancake Feed
- 8 a.m. – 10 a.m. -- Bradbury Thompson Alumni Center
- $5 per person, free for children under the age of 5 years old and younger. Enjoy all-you-can-eat pancakes, sausage, coffee and juice. A Bloody Mary cash bar will be available. Registration is required, register at www.wualumni.org/homecoming
- 10 a.m. – Parade Route winds around and through campus
- The parade route circles WU campus, on 17th Street, Washburn Avenue, 21st Street and MacVicar Avenue
Alumni Association Tailgate
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. -- Memorial Union Lawn
- $8 per person, free for children 5 years old and younger. Get ready for the game and enjoy pulled pork, pulled chicken, baked beans, coleslaw, homemade chips, cookies, lemonade, tea and water. Registration is required, register at www.wualumni.org/homecoming
- 1 p.m. -- Yager Stadium
- The Bods will take on Missouri Southern State University. Top Bods and the Ichabods of Honor (replacing the traditional homecoming king and queen) will be announced at halftime .
Washburn Reunion Show
- 7:30 p.m. -- Andrew J. and Georgia Neese Gray Theatre in Garvey Fine Arts Center
- Washburn’s theatre department will perform a reunion show with alumni, students, faculty, staff and friends as part of Homecoming week. They will come together to celebrate theatre through dance, singing and acting. This show is a scholarship fundraiser for the theatre students. Tickets are $20 and all proceeds will go to the theatre scholarship fund. Tickets can be purchased here www.eventbrite.com/e/washburn-university-theatre-reunion-tickets-49355537742?mc_cid=f1d188b665&mc_eid=8b6855d824