Topeka, Kan. – Washburn University’s fall 2017 semester officially begins Aug. 19, 2017. Faculty and staff will begin welcoming students to campus Aug. 17 with a series of events referred to as Welcome Week.
These events are designed to help new and returning students become acclimated to campus, learn a little more about student life at Washburn, and hopefully make a few new friends.
Welcome Week Schedule
Thursday, Aug. 17
- 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Move-in; Lincoln Hall (off of 19th St.), the Living Learning Center (adjacent to the Memorial Union, accessed via Jewell Ave. from 17th St.), and Washburn Village (off of Jewell Ave. from 21st St.). President Farley will be helping students at 9 a.m. at the Living Learning Center.
- 6 – 7:30 p.m. Playfair; Student Recreation & Wellness Center (off of Durow Dr.)
- 7:30 – 9:30 p.m. Rock the Rec; Student Recreation & Wellness Center (off of Durow Dr.)
Friday, Aug. 18
- 8:30 – 9:30 a.m. WU Run, start at Mabee Library Steps (center of campus)
- 9 – 10 a.m. Mabee Library Meet & Greet – Are you smarter than a college student? Trivia; Mabee Library (center of campus)
- 11 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Scorch on the Porch live entertainment; Memorial Union
- 7 -7:45 p.m. Traditions Night, Yager Stadium at Moore Bowl
- 8 – 10 p.m. Movie on the Big Screen, Yager Stadium at Moore Bowl
Saturday, Aug. 19
11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. Community Service Event; Memorial Union. Washburn students will lend a helping hand to Topeka area schools by helping middle school classrooms prepare for a great year.
Sunday, Aug. 20
- 6 – 7 p.m. Sundaes on Sunday; Living Learning Center Lobby
- 7 – 8:30 p.m. Illusionist Elliot Zimet; Washburn Rooms A and B in the Memorial Union
Monday, Aug. 21
- Noon – 1:30 p.m. Eclipse Watch Party; Yager Stadium at Moore Bowl. The Washburn community, with proper eyewear, will witness the eclipse together. The public is welcome to join us.
- 3:15 – 4 p.m. Freshman Class Photo and Tassel Ceremony; Memorial Union
- 4 – 5 p.m. Convocation; White Concert Hall
- 5 – 6:30 p.m. Campus Picnic; Washburn Rooms A and B in the Memorial Union
- 5:30 – 8 p.m. WU Fest; Memorial Union Lawn
Tuesday, Aug. 22
7 – 8 p.m. Perfect Party, Memorial Union
Washburn University is a premier public institution recognized as a community leader in providing a superior student-centered, teaching-focused learning experience while preparing our students for success in their chosen profession. Washburn offers more than 200 academic programs leading to certificate, associate, bachelor, master's and doctor of nursing practice and juris doctor degrees.
Since its founding in 1865, Washburn University has provided a place where you can realize your dreams. Regular admission standards are based on a combination of high school grade point average (GPA) and ACT scores. Staying true to our heritage, we provide the opportunity for all committed learners to access a quality education.
- 30 -