Topeka, KS – Celebrate 150 years of Washburn University at the Grand Homecoming Oct. 18 to 25, 2015. The weeklong celebration is packed full of fun activities for all ages. Beginning Sunday, Oct. 18, there will be daily activities and events starting with Bods on the Avenue and culminating with the three largest events, Saturday, Oct. 24 –Grand Parade, Grand Tailgate and Bow Tie Bash and Grand Finale. The Bow Tie Bash is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to celebrate Washburn’s 150th anniversary.
Washburn alumnus, The Honorable Robert J. Dole, will serve as the Grand Marshal for the 2015 Grand Homecoming Parade. Dole graduated from Washburn with bachelor of arts and juris doctor degrees, both in 1952, and he has developed a worldwide reputation for public service. Dole has held elected positions in the Kansas House of Representatives, as a Russell County (Kan.) attorney and as a U.S. Congressman before spending nearly 30 years as a U.S. Senator. He was Chairman of the Republican National Committee and Senate Majority Leader, where he set a record as the longest-serving Republican Leader. Dole was President Gerald Ford’s vice presidential running mate in 1976 and Republican presidential candidate in 1988 and in 1996. A World War II veteran, he served as national chairman of the World War II Memorial Campaign and authored the autobiographical One Soldier’s Story and other books. Washburn conferred on him an honorary doctor of law in 1969 and an honorary doctor of civil law in 1985. He received the Washburn Alumni Distinguished Service Award in 1966. Washburn Law honored him with the Law Alumni Association Distinguished Service Award in 1981 and the Lifetime Achievement Award in 2007.
Complete list of Grand Homecoming activities: www.washburn.edu/homecoming
Friday, Oct. 23:
- 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Top Hats, on display, Memorial Union, main level
- 11:30 a.m., Ichabod Washburn statue dedication, Downtown Topeka
- Noon to 4 p.m., Departmental Open Houses, various locations around campus, full list available at www.washburn.edu/homecoming
- 1 p.m., Washburn baseball vs. Hutchinson Community College, Falley Field
- 2-3:30 p.m., Welcome Center at Morgan Hall Open House3:30-4 p.m., Ichabod Plaza Dedication, in front of Morgan Hall
- 4-7:30 p.m., Washburn After Hours and Top Hat Auction, Bradbury Thompson Alumni Center. No charge.
- 7 p.m., Washburn Volleyball vs. Pittsburg State Gorillas, Lee Arena. For ticket information, contact 785.670.BODS.
- 8-8:30 p.m., Bonfire, grass field, south of Henderson Learning Resources Center
Saturday, Oct. 24:
- 7:30-10 a.m., Pancake Feed, Bradbury Thompson Alumni Center, $5 per person, pay at the door
- 9:30 a.m., Parade Watch Party, Washburn University Foundation
- 10 a.m., Grand Parade with Grand Marshal, The Honorable Robert “Bob J. Dole, Parade route available at www.washburn.edu/homecoming
- Following the parade, photos with Curious George and Clifford, the Big Red Dog, KTWU
- 11 a.m., Grand Tailgate, Memorial Union lawn, $5 per person, RSVP required by Oct. 16 at www.washburn.edu/homecoming
- 2 p.m., Washburn football vs. University of Central Oklahoma, Yager Stadium at Moore Bowl. For ticket information, contact 785.670.BODS.
- 5:30 p.m. (or immediately following the football game), Bow Tie Bash, the grand finale of the sesquicentennial celebration. Tickets are $30 and RSVP is required by Oct. 16 at www.washburn.edu/homecoming.
- 6:30 p.m., Washburn Volleyball vs. University of Central Oklahoma at Lee Arena. For ticket information, contact 785.670.BODS.